Dr. Maria McGann
Dr. Maria McGannOrthopaedic Surgeon, Foot and Ankle Surgeon
Dr. Maria McGann is a fellowship-trained Orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon that recently joined Romano Orthopaedic Center. She joins Dr. Romano in providing comprehensive and compassionate care to our patients. She brings a specialty in sports and reconstructive procedures including:
- Total Ankle Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery
- Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy
- Ligament and Tendon Repair
- Bunions, Hammertoes, Plantar Fasciitis
- Charcot Reconstruction
She is excited to return to the Oak Park and River Forest area to join her father’s practice. Dr. McGann completed her fellowship training at the renowned orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center in Columbus, Ohio under the direction of Drs. Gregory Berlet and Terence Philbin. During this fellowship she specialized in forefoot, midfoot, and hindfoot reconstruction as well as total ankle arthroplasty.
Prior to fellowship, she completed her orthopaedic residency in Chicago through Midwestern University where she served as co-chief resident. She also received her medical degree in Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) from Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in Downers Grove, IL. She completed a masters of arts in medical sciences from Loyola University in Chicago and her undergraduate degree in science business from the University of Notre Dame.
Dr. McGann has been active in research. She also enjoys providing medical service including traveling to Honduras on a medical brigade operating with her dad and uncle. Outside of medicine, she resides in River Forest with her husband, Shawn, and their children.
Romano Orthopaedic Center is always looking for volunteers for a variety of research projects.
Participation is always FREE, and you will leave each research session with greater insight into becoming healthier.
If you would like to be put on a list of potential volunteers for Dr. Romano’s testing, we welcome you to use the Contact Us page or call us at .
Romano Orthopaedic Center will be posting the results of past research reports and white papers soon.
- PHYSICIAN LICENSE IN ILLINOIS
- AMERICAN OSTEOPATHIC BOARD OF orthopaedic SURGERY (AOBOS)
- Step 1- Certified 5/17/2017
- Step 2- Certified 10/24/2017
- Step 3- Board Eligible
MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY, Downers Grove, Il 08/2008-06/2012
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (CCOM)
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY IN CHIGAGO, Chicago, IL 08/2007-05/2008
- Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME, Notre Dame, IN 09/2003-05/2007
- Bachelor of Science in Pre-Medical Science Business
- Minor in Anthropology, Deans List 2004
FOOT AND ANKLE SURGERY FELLOWSHIP 08/2017-08/2018
orthopaedic FOOT AND ANKLE CENTER, Columbus, OH
- Terrence Philbin, D.O., Gregory Berlet, M.D., Patrick Bull, D.O., Christopher Hyer, D.P.M, Mark Prissel, D.P.M
ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY RESIDENCY 07/2012-07/2017
MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY/FRANCISCAN ST. JAMES HOSPITAL, Chicago, IL
- University of Chicago / Weiss Hospital - Adult Reconstruction
- Northwestern University Memorial Hospital – Hand and Upper Extremity
- John Stroger Cook County Hospital – Orthopaedic Trauma
- Shriners Hospital for Children Chicago – Pediatric Orthopaedics, Pediatric Spine
- Advocate Christ Medical Center - Orthopaedic Trauma, Foot & Ankle, Pediatrics, Spine
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Hospital- Orthopaedic Trauma, Hand, Sports Medicine, Foot and Ankle, General
- Ingalls Memorial Hospital - Spine, Sports Medicine, Adult Reconstruction, General
- St. James Hospital System - Trauma, Spine, General
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) (8 years)
- Member, American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopaedics (AOAO) (8 years)
- Member, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) (4 years)
- Member, American Osteopathic Association (AOA) (12 years)
- Member, AO Trauma Foundation (3 years)
- Member, Sigma Sigma Phi Honors Society (3 years)
- Member, American Osteopathic Medical Association (4 years)
- Member, Student American Academy of Osteopathy (SAAO) (4 years)
- Chief Orthopaedic Surgery Resident 07/2016-07/2017
- Resident Scholarship Program, AOFAS July 2015
- T.O.U.C.H. Award for Community Service, Midwestern University May 2011
- T.O.U.C.H. Award for Community Service, Midwestern University May 2010
- Christopher Zorich Award for Community Service, University of Notre Dame May 2007
- Rowing Athletic Scholarship, Coxswain. University of Notre Dame Aug 2004- May 2007
- Student Athlete Leadership Institute Leader, University of Notre Dame Feb 2007
- Student Athlete Leadership Institute Leader, University of Notre Dame Feb 2006
- Dean’s List, University of Notre Dame May 2004
- Pre-Fellowship Instructional Course, Chicago, IL May 2017, May 2018
- Current Solutions in Foot and Ankle Surgery, Tampa, FL Feb 2018
- Advances in Foot and Ankle Surgery, New York, NY Nov 2017
- Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Fellows Course, Memphis, TN Nov 2017
- Fellowship Ankle and Hindfoot Solutions Course, Austin, TX Oct 2017
- American Osteopathic Academy of orthopaedics Annual Meeting (AOAO), Chicago, IL Oct 2017
- Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty Course, Chicago, IL May 2017
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA May 2017
- AO Advanced Principles of Fracture Management, Pheonix, AZ Nov 2016
- AOAO Annual Meeting AOAO, Washington, D.C. Oct 2016
- Chicago Trauma Symposium, Chicago, IL Aug 2016, Aug 2017
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA July 2015
- AAOS/AOFAS Traumatic and Sports Injuries of the Foot and Ankle, Rosemont, IL Feb 2015
- AAOS Fundamentals of Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, Rosemont, IL April 2014
- AO Basic Principles of Fracture Management, San Francisco, CA Aug 2013
- AOAO Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL May 2013
- Chief Resident Coordinator, Orthopaedic Residency, Franciscan St. James Hospital (1 year)
- Fundraising Chairman, Sigma Sigma Phi Honor Society, Midwestern University (1 year)
- Treasurer, Student Osteopathic Medical Association Club, Midwestern University (1 year)
- Treasurer, Student American Academy of Osteopathy Club, Midwestern University (1 year)
- Representative, Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences Graduate Class, Loyola University (1 year)
- Student Advisor, Student-Athlete Advisory Council, University of Notre Dame (2 years)
LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL SERVICE
- Team Physician, Fenwick High School. Oak Park, IL Aug 2014- June 2017
- Team Physician, Guerin Prep High School. River Grove, IL Aug 2014- June 2017
- International Medical Volunteer, Holy Family Surgery Center. Tegucigalpa, Honduras Jan 2013
- Medical Volunteer, Providing Advocacy, Dignity, and Shelter (PADS) Clinic. Oak Lawn, IL Dec 2008- May 2012
- Medical Volunteer, Community Health Clinic, Midwestern University. Chicago, IL Dec 2008- May 2012
- International Medical Student Volunteer, Holy Family Surgery Center. Tegucigalpa, Honduras May 2009
- Wellness Advisor, American Medical Association. Oak Park, IL May 2009-June 2010
- Volunteer Caregiver, Parents of Autistic Children Together (PACT) Home. Oak Park, IL Oct 2007-May 2008
- Volunteer Coordinator, Fighting Irish Fight for Life, University of Notre Dame. Notre Dame, IN Sept 2006-May 2007
- Faculty, Franscican St. James Orthopaedic Residency, Chicago, IL April 2019- Present
- Faculty, Novastep Pre-Fellowship Instructional Course, Chicago, IL May 2018
- Resident Lecturer, Monthly Resident Orthopaedic Lectures, Midwestern University July 2013-June 2017
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Physiology, Midwestern University Aug 2009- Nov 2009
- Health Education in the Community, Fall Prevention for Seniors, Midwestern University Feb 2009- May 2009
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Fenwick High School June 2007- Aug 2007
orthopaedic FOOT AND ANKLE CENTER, Westerville, OH
- Structures at Risk during Percutaneous Extra-Articular Chevron Osteotomy for the Inexperienced Minimally Invasive Surgeon. M. McGann, T. Langdon, R. Brandao, G. Berlet, M. Prissel.
AAOS 2019 Annual Meeting Poster and ACFAS 2019 Annual Meeting Poster.
- Structures at Risk of the Intermetatarsal Screw for Lapidus Bunionectomy: A Cadaveric Study. B. Van Dyke, M. McGann, D. Larson, E. So.
AOAO 2017 Annual Meeting Poster, AOFAS 2018 Annual Meeting Poster, ACFAS 2018 Annual Meeting Poster. Accepted for publication to the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery.
- Anatomic Description of Anterior Body Calcaneal Z-Osteotomy. M. McGann, D. Larson, B. Van Dyke, C. Hyer.
AOFAS 2018 Annual Meeting Poster. OhioHealth Research Symposium 2017. Submitted to APMA Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Intramedullary Screw Fixation and Relevant Diameter of the Proximal Phalanges of the Foot. B. Van Dyke, D. Larson, M. McGann, C. Reb, C. Watson, R. Brandao, C. Hyer.
OhioHealth Research Symposium 2017. AAOS 2018 Annual Meeting Poster.
SHRINER’S HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN, Chicago, IL
- The Characteristics of Gait in Charcot-Marie Tooth Disease. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Graf A, McGann M, Henke A,. Krzak J, Smith P, Altiok H, Harris G.
Podium Presentation, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society Annual Meeting. May 2017.
- Hallux Valgus Correction Osteotomies. McGann M, Hyer C. In: Hyer CF, Berlet GC Philbin TM, Bull P, Prissel M, eds. Essential Foot and Ankle Surgical Techniques. Springer. 2019: 15-25.
- Fourth and Fifth Tarsometatarsal Degenerative Joint Disease Management. McGann M, Van Dyke, B, Berlet GC. In: Hyer CF, Berlet GC Philbin TM, Bull P, Prissel M, eds. Essential Foot and Ankle Surgical Techniques. Springer. 2019: 149-151.
- Naviculocuneiform Joint Fusion. McAlister, J, Brandao R, Van Dyke B, McGann M, Hyer C. In: Hyer CF, Berlet GC Philbin TM, Bull P, Prissel M, eds. Essential Foot and Ankle Surgical Techniques. Springer. 2019: 167-174.
- Supple Equinus, Equinovarus, and Drop Foot Surgical. Strategies. Brandao R, McGann M, Bull, P. In: Hyer CF, Berlet GC Philbin TM, Bull P, Prissel M, eds. Essential Foot and Ankle Surgical Techniques. Springer. 2019: 343-355.
- Amputations of the Foot and Ankle. McGann M, Van Dyke B, Simpson A, Philbin T. Manuscript submitted for publication in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Foot and Ankle 6.
- Van Dyke B, McGann M, Philbin T. Midfoot Amputations. In: Colvin A and Flatow E, ed. Atlas of Essential Orthopaedic Procedures. 2nd ed. Wolters. Kluwer. 2019: 786-795.
Romano Orthopaedic Center
7411 Lake St, Suite 2110
River Forest, IL 60305
Fax: (708) 613-4319